I Tried A Natural Shampoo & This Is What Happened



It has always been my advocacy to be eco-friendly, but I took the leap when I got pregnant 2 years ago. I started with a lippie product because I deemed lipsticks to be the most harmful to the baby because I was ingesting the chemicals. I wasn't able to expand on this, opting for a bare face and relying on the pregnancy glow to look decent (except that the glow only lasted the first trimester, but let's not dwell on that).

It was only until after I had the baby when I got more products that are natural/organic but mostly they were baby's stuff.Of the ones I tried for myself, one of them is a natural shampoo that I bought from Human ❤️ Nature.

Reasons for testing out a natural shampoo

So aside from going chemical-free that is harmful to the earth and to myself, another reason why I tried a natural shampoo is because I read that SLS could cause frizzy hair. I had straight locks earlier in my childhood but it slowly transitioned to frizzy when I stepped into high school which resulted in my hair to constantly being up in a ponytail.

This new information we have on the effects of SLS on hair, particulary curly hair, has been eye-opening. My sisters both have wavy hair and I suspected that mine had transitioned into wavy back when I was a teenager and using the same products for straight hair wasn't working thus resulting in frizz.

The way to combat this is to get rid of SLS and silicone in hair products to not comb the hair frequently.

What happened then?

A shampoo without SLS and silicone needs some getting use to. My hair while in the shower felt like a mop head. Because silicone keeps the hair strands smooth, the lack of it results in the strands being all tangled.

When dry, it doesn't feel like that hair you see in shampoo commercials. It's not soft and smooth and bouncy that you'd like to keep flipping it off your shoulder.

Instead,

My hair seems airy and volumized like I've sprayed it with hair spray. It looks gorgeous in the morning after waking up, and there's less frizz. The waves are more defined too - which proves that I might really be wavy haired now.

The biggest thing I've noticed?

I don't have dandruff now. For the longest time, I have dandruff come and go. I don't wash my hair daily, usually every 3 days. And now that I'm a mom, sometimes even longer than that. The itch and flakes were constant. Maybe it was also because of the sudden fluctuation of hormones as I was also losing a lot of hair. But after using a natural shampoo, the dandruff was gone although I still keep losing hair - but not as much anymore.

So, what now?

Well, I'm gonna try out more natural shampoos, in fact I'm eyeing a shampoo bar to try next. Or a shampoo and conditioner in one and see if that helps with the mop head situation in the shower.

I hope you enjoyed my post. I would love to hear your experience on using natural shampoos and which ones are your favorites. See you in the comments.

Dawn

2 comments:

  1. I’ve been hearing a lot of new mummy or mummy-to-be dilemma when it comes to skincare that most of them abandon their skincare products as they’re worried about the chemicals and all that. So far, I’ve been informed that Pyunkang Yul skincare products don’t contain fragrance but as I was doing my own research, I’ve also discovered a premium brand that you can only source from Seoul; Lyanature that releases products that are safe for both mummy and baby. I hope you can continue on discovering similar products as these as me myself have started incorporating more vegan skincare in my routine.

    www.myrabeautydiary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation Myra. :) I'd check these brands out. And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete