How To: Straighten and Crop Images

By 5/07/2015



In my previous post How To Brighten Images I shared with you the first step of my process in editing my images for blogging using Photoshop.

In this post I will share with you the next step which is straightening and cropping.

I would suggest to click on the images to view them in their original sizes.

After brightening the image, I usually try to straighten the image because most of the photos I took aren't straight. I think that's fairly common. Even if it looks straight on my phone's camera (which is what I use), it looks kind of lopsided on computer.


I use the marquee tool as a ruler to check if something is straight or not. Click the marquee icon on the toolbar - Click top left of the part of image to marquee -  Click bottom right to make a box. Do not hold and drag.

To remove the marquee: Ctrl+D (for Deselect)


Click Image - Image Rotation - Arbitrary.


A pop up window will appear. Choose between CW (clockwise) or CCW (counter clockwise). Add a number for the angle. I usually use 1 and just repeat the process if it isn't straight after hitting OK.


After clicking OK, this is how the image will look like. I will go ahead and crop the image to trim the white excess parts off.


Click the Crop icon. Select area to keep. Click the top left and click the bottom right to form a box. Do not hold and drag.

The parts excluded from your selection will be covered in black. It is transparent enough for you to see what is in those areas.


Hit Enter and you're done!

You can save this as it is, or you can continue editing it like I do. After this step, I usually do:

  • image resizing
  • sharpening and denoising
  • adding text
I hope you found this post helpful. Thanks for reading!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Super helpful tips~! I'm awful at editing photographs and this is super helpful <33

    alluringalyssbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm glad you found it helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete